There are so many ways to get involved with the running of Macclesfield Museums. There’s something for everyone, some great experience to be gained and new friends to be made. Read on, see what appeals, and how you can help.
We really value our volunteers and need more people to join our friendly team.
It’s a great way to get out and make new friends. Or maybe you need valuable work experience to help launch your career.
So, if you love heritage, you’re willing to learn, enjoy meeting new people and have a bit of spare time, we’d love to hear from you. There’s lots of roles available – from visitor welcome to supporting us ‘behind the scenes’.
Anyone can apply and you’re not limited to one role.
Go on, Get Involved!
Education Resource Volunteers
A large number of school groups visit the museum throughout the year and we always need people to help cut out and prepare the resources they use.
This is a lovely social opportunity to sit with other volunteers and ‘chat while you snip.’
If this appeals to you, then you could become part of our volunteer Education Resource Team preparing resources and making friends in the unique setting of Macclesfield’s Heritage Centre.
Special Event Supporters
Are you a flexible multi-tasker with bags of initiative and a can-do attitude, ready to jump on where help is most needed on busy days in the museum?
Are you an excellent, calm communicator, who knows how to direct your energy where it’s most needed and can deliver exceptional customer service?
If you are, you could help us at peak times on Saturdays, during school holidays and for special events, as part of our friendly and dedicated Front Of House Team.
Special Event Supporters help us…
- Deliver successful events and excellent visits.
- Connect better with visitors, providing information and answering all sorts of questions.
- Provide that all-important welcome.
Visitor Welcome Volunteers
Are you someone who is welcoming and approachable, always prepared to engage with visitors and who puts the visitor first in everything they do?
Are you someone who enjoys delivering to the highest standards at all times with excellent attention to detail?
If you are, you could become part of our dedicated Front of House Team at the Silk Museum, developing your own knowledge of our amazing collections.
Visitor Welcome Volunteers help us…
- Welcome all our visitors, making sure they are well informed and looked after.
- Welcome our groups, ensuring that they have a seamless experience of the Museum and Paradise Mill.
- Engage with visitors, providing information on displays, events and activities.
Social Media Volunteers
Are you passionate about spreading the message about our Museums?
Are you creative; confident with photography and copywriting and understand how to connect with audiences via different social media channels?
If you are, we could use your creative skills to support our Business Development Team.
Social Media Volunteers help us…
- Regularly update posts on all the Museum’s social media platforms.
- Develop new approaches and campaigns to increase footfall.
- Evaluate what works and what doesn’t.
Do you love retail and visual merchandising, and want to help us make the most of our new Silk Shop?
Are you enthusiastic and keen to learn about our unique product lines so that you can provide excellent customer service?
If the answer’s yes, then you could gain valuable experience in customer service by becoming part of and make a valuable contribution to the Silk Museum’s retail team.
Retail Volunteers help us…
- Serve customers in the Silk Shop, providing excellent and informed service.
- Maintain regularly changing, eye-catching displays to promote products.
- Manage our stocks, evaluating bestsellers.
Loom and Machinery Volunteers
Are you very practical and interested to learn how our looms and other machines work?
Do you have a background or deep interest in textile production, coding or mechanics and engineering?
If the answer’s yes, then you could gain unique experience in the ongoing maintenance of the looms and other machinery in Paradise Mill and the Silk Museum as part of our incredibly valuable team of Machinery Volunteers.
Loom and Machinery Volunteers help us…
- Keep our looms maintained and help us get more of our looms working again.
- Strengthen our unique offer in Paradise Mill.
- Engage with visitors about the technical aspects of textile engineering.